Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spotlight on Sally Hunt - Music Director for Nine, The Musical

What is your role in this production? I am the Musical Director, so I am responsible for preparing all the music you hear. I’ve been preparing for a number of months, listening to and comparing different recordings, playing through the score many, many times, and singing every note that everyone sings. By now, it’s in my blood (as Sarraghina would say)!

Why did you join the team of this production? The score for Nine is beautiful, and a departure in some ways from typical musicals. Many of the songs actually take place in Guido’s imagination, and they are full of subtle nuance and complex detail, so I was excited to bring them to life. I was also excited to work on a show that offers so many strong female roles, which is very unusual in musical theatre. And finally, the opportunity to work with Kristen Finlay again was one I couldn’t pass up.

What is your background in theatre? I’m a classically-trained musician, and I’ve been involved in musical theatre for about 25 years, as a performer, music director, conductor and teacher. I currently teach musical theatre at the Citadel Theatre’s Foote Theatre School. Some previous Walterdale productions include The Threepenny Opera, The Fantasticks, and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, but other recent projects include Hansel und Gretl, Seussical Jr., The Wizard of Oz and Little Shop of Horrors.

What's up with you next in theatre? Immediately following Nine, I am heading off to perform at the Winnipeg Fringe Festival, with the Edmonton group Il Duo. In a general sense, though, I love to work on projects that are creatively interesting and challenging, whatever the genre. We’ll see what the future brings!

What is your favorite thing about the production so far? The sheer talent and hard work from this cast has been remarkable. They have embraced a very complex show and have dived into it without fear. The results will be fantastic!

Favorite theatre superstition? I don’t really have any superstitions, but I did have an encounter with Walter, the theatre’s resident ghost, while working on The Fantasticks a few years ago. I definitely heard a person when no person was there….

No comments:

Post a Comment