Total Pageviews

Monday, June 18, 2012

Spotlight on Heather Brooke - Ilsa von Hesse in Nine

What is your role in Nine? In this production of Nine I play Ilsa von Hesse, a German, who loves to spend her time being pampered. This involves maintaining a low stress, high energy, and giggly atmosphere at all times. That is very trying, of course. Actually, it has not been hard to fit myself into this type of character at all since being happy is what I’m known for. However it HAS been difficult trying to hit all those high notes that German girls apparently sing when they go to spas, so to prepare, I have for the most part, been working on my range. Other than that, I’ve been concentrating on surviving my summer courses in Spanish, dance shows and classes, working and volunteering, and making it to rehearsal without forgetting a meal, an hour’s sleep, or passing out from exhaustion. I’d say, I’ve done alright and this production has definitely been worth all the effort.

Why did you audition for this production? A friend of mine was auditioning for Nine and about a week before the audition dates she asked me if I was interested in community theatre at all, and said that I should audition as well. She had mentioned liking the idea of working with Kristen. Though we were both working on our final projects for school and they were taking up almost all of our time we wanted to give it a shot because in the summer having something to concentrate on would be nice. I was excessively busy (as I usually am) but decided to put that aside a little bit in order to audition for this production. I figured it was a great idea since I had not done any theatre outside of school and I would like to pursue acting as a career, so it seemed smartest to start as early as the opportunity presented itself. So despite my time constraints, I signed up. The day rolled around and I dragged myself from my rehearsal into my car, flipped my army print T-shirt (costume) inside out (because who shows up to an audition in camouflage?) and gave it my best shot. I felt like a mess, still worn out from rehearsing with my 331 group but was excited to have auditioned and with that; I returned to my rehearsal for the night. I wasn’t sure what kind of “competition” I would be up against but all the same it was a great experience to have auditioned for something outside of school and I was determined, either way, to continue auditioning for other types of theatre. Soon after being cast, I realized how lucky I really was to have been picked to be in this very talented group of people, and I can’t wait to see what we can do.

What is your background in theatre? My background in theatre is very basic, this is my first appearance at Walterdale, and my first experience outside of school (other than Citadel classes at a young age) for that matter. I had taken drama in grade 7 but had dropped it because it was not a very good experience in general. Luckily I required another class in grade ten and there was still something about drama that I thought could be fun. Ms. Brodin changed the way I looked at theatre. I fell in love with it and I decided after being in Brodin’s production of A Christmas Carol that theatre was what I really wanted to pursue. Following that year I was in many productions at Harry Ainlay including: Grease, Once upon this Island, and Guys and Dolls. Once I started going to the University of Alberta I really dove into drama, taking on a challenging mask role as a Pulchinella in Clive Barker’s Crazyface. This was by far the best experience I have undertaken because it taught me the most about acting and fear. Putting on a mask to me is accepting every possibility, always being in the right, and only judging yourself when it feels good. Ever since that role in Crazyface I have been striving to find acceptance in myself, in everything I do, and oddly enough, I’ve been succeeding. I feel very comfortable in many situations and have come so far since grade 7. I am proud to take yet another step in the right direction with my first production that is not affiliated with school because, so far, it has been a miraculous experience!

What is your favorite thing about the production so far? My favorite thing about this production so far is that it has provided me with a wonderful break from life which, for the last six weeks, has been ever so needed. I can come to rehearsal and forget everything (including some very important dance classes, oops!) and just be in the moment, just singing and having fun. I like that it is still challenging to remember lines and songs etc. but that my brain interprets it not as work, but as fun and as progress. It’s supplied me with the feeling of achievement that I needed to successfully get through the other commitments I had been a part of.

What are your goals for the future in regards to theatre? Theatre for me has become an outlet. It is also a career path I am very interested and determined to pursue and whether I’m on stage or in film (Film? Film!) I will spend the rest of my life in theatre. It is on my bucket list to be in a production at the Citadel, so at least that much I MUST accomplish. I do hope to get to a point with acting where I can live with that sense of accomplishment it gives me and also generate enough income to survive. Maybe not “Brangelina” famous but “can put food on the table” famous would be nice! I just enjoy the idea of theatre because sharing the happiness acting brings me, with an audience who can really appreciate it, is one of the most rewarding experiences.

Other comments? I just wanted to say how truly grateful I am to have this experience and to have been given a chance to really learn about Walterdale, about community theatre, and about the career path I have chosen. So far the process has been nothing but fun, relaxing, and rewarding and I can’t wait to see what comes up next!

* Upper photo supplied; Lower photo by Janine Hodder

No comments:

Post a Comment