Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spotlight on Erika Noot - Carla in Nine

What is your role in Nine? I am playing the role of Carla Albanese. Carla is Guido’s passionate mistress and one of his many distractions; which she enjoys being, of course. In various productions of Nine the song “A Call From the Vatican” was sung while using Aerial silks or while doing contortions but in this production Kristen Finlay had a genius plan to incorporate pole dancing. For the past couple months Jessica Lauderdale, Pole Dancing instructor, has been training me in various spins and tricks on the pole. Jessica is an amazing instructor, she has encouraged me and helped me feel confident in all the tricks, even the upside down ones ;) 

Why did you audition for this production? In my final year in the Theatre Arts program at Grant MacEwan I played the role of Sarraghina in Nine. I fell in love with Maury Yeston’s beautiful music so when I heard that the Walterdale was doing it, I jumped at the chance.
What is your background in theatre? I am a 2006 graduate of the MacEwan Theatre Arts program and since then have performed in many different shows around Edmonton. In 2007 I worked for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines as one of the lead vocalists singing songs like “RESPECT,” “River Deep Mountain High,” and “Vogue.” From then on I began singing many pop songs at various venues and creating my own concerts and cabarets. In 2011 I co-founded a voice and performance studio with Bernard and Joy Quilala called Spotlight Studios. We train aspiring singers to become versatile professional artists in many different genres. I have never performed with the Walterdale but I’m excited to make this the first. 

What are your goals for the future? I would love to be doing theatre full time whether it’s performing, teaching, choreographing, directing, and be able to pay the bills too ;)

What is your favourite thing about the production? This has been such an amazing group of people to work with. Everyone works hard, performs hard, plays hard, and loves hard. After almost every rehearsal I tell my husband, “I just love these people, they are so awesome.”

* top photo supplied, lower photo by Janine Hodder

No comments:

Post a Comment