Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Spotlight on Kat Evans - Maria in Nine, The Musical

What is your role in this production? My main role in Nine is Maria, an Italian chambermaid working at the Fontana Di Luna Spa in Venice. A modern Italian woman in the 60’s, Maria’s interests include napping on the job, romantic entanglements with important men, and tormenting the other chambermaids with her sassy attitude. (Especially Diana.) I am also part of the chorus so I get to do a lot of singing and dancing, which I love.

Why did you audition for this production? I have wanted to be a part of this show ever since I first heard of it. I love the intricacies of the music and the fantastical self-indulgent world that Guido creates in his mind. When I heard that Walterdale was doing it and that Kristen and Sally were involved it sealed the deal for me. I was auditioning, no question. I was already familiar with the script and score, so I hunkered down into my voice lessons and took on extra dance classes to bring myself to a place of confidence for the auditions. (I was in a major accident a few years ago and I hadn’t done a lot of intense physical performance since then, so I wanted to be ready!)

What is your background in theatre? I have been involved in theatre and/or dance in one way or another since I was probably 6. I really started to fill my world with theatre in junior high, and then in high school (I went to Vic) I doubled the number of credits I graduated with because I was so involved! High school gave me the opportunity to not only perform, but also to direct, design, and become involved in the technical side of theatre. From there I went on to get my BFA in Theatre Design from the U of A, and have been designing, performing, teching and producing theatre and film ever since! (Come to think of it, I don’t think there has been a year that has passed that I wasn’t involved in at least 2 or 3 productions since I was probably 15… wow. )

My first Walterdale experience was in The Rocky Horror Show 10 years ago, as one of the Trixies and a Transylvanian. (My husband John was Frankenfurter!) Since then I have mostly been behind the scenes here as a designer. Shows include Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, Wyrd Sisters and The Threepenny Opera. It is so great to be back on stage for this fantastic show! I love working at Walterdale. The people that are drawn to create in this space are so genuine in their love of theatre and so talented that it is hard not to fall head over heels!

What are your goals for the future in regards to theatre? I will continue to be involved in theatre for the rest of my life, guaranteed. My husband John and I met performing together, got engaged on stage during a show, and got married on stage. We have a production company together, The October People Productions, and we are constantly finding new ways of involving both theatre and film in our lives. Goals?To live a long, rich, happy and fulfilling life with him and with theatre at the center of it. (And possibly win the lotto so that we can commit to it full time. But that isn’t dreaming too big, right? Hahaha!)

What is your favorite thing about the production so far? The incredible talent of the cast and production crew. This is a BIG show and could be really difficult to do but everyone is so committed and excited and talented that it has been an easy and happy journey so far!

Favorite theatre superstition? I am a true believer in the curse of “The Scottish Play” You know what I am talking about. Someone uttered it while we were doing the Grapes of Wrath and in the same night we had an actor slide in to the fly gallery legs first, another had to leave mid-show for stitches, and I almost fell off the front of the apron during an exit! Some chalk this up to the power of suggestion, but none of us that were involved in the craziness even heard that the word was said until after the show! So be warned that if you want to tempt that fate around me you had better be prepared to knock on some serious wood!

No comments:

Post a Comment