Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Spotlight on Marliss Weber - Dialect Coach for Nine

What is your role on this production?
I am the dialect coach for Nine. This show is such a great challenge for all of us because there are so many different language requirements: Italian, French, German and American. Not only that, but the actors need to sing and dance and act, all in a different accent than their usual speech. This is quite a feat, and it's been great fun helping the actors find this important element of their characters.

I love the challenge of working on accents with actors because it makes such a fundamental difference as to how they present their character onstage. A good accent adds a layer of realism that truly allows the audience to suspend their disbelief and to escape into the world of the show - which to me is the whole point of theatre. It can be highly technical work, just like dance or singing, but when it all comes together it really does create magic, and I love being a part of that.

What do you do when you're not at Walterdale?
By day, I'm a writer and communications consultant. I run my own company called Parodos Communications, and I focus on corporate storytelling, which is a creative way for companies to express their corporate vision and to spread the word on what they do. So my days are spent writing, interviewing, producing videos, tweeting, facebooking, and project managing for a broad spectrum of organizations, from the University of Alberta, to the Legal Education Society of Alberta, to small businesses and all levels of government. It's challenging and engaging work, and I love it.

By night, and sometimes by day, I teach speech and accent reduction to professionals, and dialects to actors. I'm passionate about musical theatre and teach, direct and adjudicate whenever I get the chance. I also sing, shop, read, eat and drink a lot of wine, although only on a semi-professional basis :)

Favorite number in the show?
I adore the Bells of St. Sebastian. It gives me chills. Gorgeous harmonies, sung by a beautiful cast. It alone is worth the ticket price.

One cool fact about me...
I can balance silverware on my nose. It's my one party trick.

photo: © Nicole Piotrkowski 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment