Total Pageviews

Monday, June 10, 2013

Meet Kathleen Sera - Ruth in Anything Goes!


What is your role in this production? I’m playing Ruth, the Chinese convert and reformed opium smoker. She is fairly pious, and very quick to freak out when something goes wrong… which is often.

What brought you out for this production? The opportunity to learn how to tap. I have been in three tap shows in my career thus far (White Christmas and Crazy For You, twice) and with the exception of faking it for a couple of bars in one of them, have not managed to actually do any tap at all until now.

What is your background in theatre? I have been acting since I was four, started doing musicals when I was 11 with Stage Polaris, and did a couple of shows with their professional acting company. I’ve also done several musical theatre classes at the Foote Theatre School and have been doing community theatre around Edmonton and area since 2004. I have a degree in Theatrical Costume Cutting and Construction from Red Deer College and designed the costumes for Crimes of the Heart and You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown with Walterdale. This will be my first show on stage with them.

Biggest Challenge? Mastering a Chinese accent. Surprisingly, this is not my first time playing East Asian (Tuptim in The King and I, Peep-Bo in The Mikado), but since I actually speak Japanese, having the Chinese accent not slip that way has been a fun challenge.

This play takes place on a ship, you have any good boating stories? I have some early memories of boating around Florida and seeing live gators and manatees in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment