Total Pageviews

Friday, June 14, 2013

Meet Christina O'Dell - Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes!


What is your role in this Production? I play Reno Sweeney, a spunky, charismatic evangelist-turned-nightclub singer.  She is a bit of a celebrity on the ship, albeit a somewhat notorious one...she is known for her high-energy performances, in which she combines the excitement and fervor and on old-school evangelical revival with the scandalous devil-may-care sensibility and freedom of the prohibition era.  The role is a great challenge; lots of singing, dancing and comedy to keep me on my toes!

What brought you out for this production? Cole Porter is such a brilliant composer/lyricist, and this show is by far one of his best!  As soon as the current Walterdale season was announced, I knew I had to audition!

What is your background in theatre? I grew up performing in musicals at Victoria School, but then took a 6 year hiatus from theatre to focus on my university career.  Since then I have been having a blast working as a Speech-Language Pathologist by day while rehearsing for shows by night.  This is my second show at the Walterdale; I had a blast in Nine last summer!

Biggest Challenge? For me, the biggest challenge of this show this far has been mastering the essence of Reno's singing voice; I am, at heart, a classically trained soprano, while Reno is 100% Broadway brass.  It's been quite an adventure exploring a side of my voice that I haven't really ever used before!

 In the Spirit of "Anything Goes" how true is that about you? I suppose in my own little way, my profession necessitates that I live in the spirit of "Anything Goes"...I work in a classroom of pre-school aged children, and I have learned that no matter how much I try to plan for my days, the kids usually have other ideas!  If they are suddenly enthralled by lions and elephants, I scrap my ladybug themed lesson plan and run with the jungle theme...a bit different from Reno's reality, but still "Anything Goes"!

Photo credit:
Headshot: supplied
Photo from Nine: Bill Hill - Christina is on the far right

No comments:

Post a Comment