Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Spotlight on Stephanie Bahniuk - Costume Designer for Albertine in Five Times

What is your role for this production?My role for this production is Costume Designer. This role involves involves many different responsibilities as there are many stages to the design process. First, I had to do a lot of research because each character exists in a different decade spanning from 1942-1982 and this required looking at old photographs and researching vintage clothing trends and styles. I have to attend meetings with the director and the rest of the production crew to make sure my costume designs fit into the overall vision of the production. I was also responsible for presenting final drawings of each costume that clearly illustrate my designs and provide a visual for the actors and crew. I am also responsible for buying fabric and organizing a team of volunteer stitchers who are going to build some of the costumes as well as sourcing and buying costume pieces that are not being built.

How did come to work on this production? I have been interested in working for Walterdale for awhile now and by chance, my Mom met someone at her work who has been involved with many Walterdale productions and was able to recommend to me to the Production Manager for Albertine in Five Times.

What is your background in theatre? This is my first production with Walterdale but I have been working in theatre, particularly with costumes, for about 5 years now. I started off designing and building costumes for Archbishop Jordan Theatre productions in high school and I was lucky enough to be accepted into the BFA Theatre Design program at the University of Alberta a year and a half ago. In the program we learn design for sets, costumes and lighting and I am hoping to continue to design for theatre as my career.

What has it been like preparing for this production? I was extremely excited after reading this script and finding out that the costumes would all be vintage inspired. I really enjoyed looking at old pictures and researching styles from the past. The biggest challenge for me as the Costume Designer was finding a way to make five very different women, look like the same woman in five different stages of her life.

What do you think this show will offer to our audiences? I think this show will offer an escape into the mind of someone else for a couple of hours and allow the audience to feel an array of emotions in that time. This play has mystery, drama and passion that will keep the audience engaged. The playwright, Michel Tremblay, is simply a fantastic story-teller.

Stephanie's Website:
sbahniuk.carbonmade.com

No comments:

Post a Comment