Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Spotlight on Mary Ellen Perley - Albertine at 50 in Albertine in Five Times

What is your role for this production? I am playing Albertine at 50 and besides the inevitable learning of lines (which when working with Michele Tremblay is fantastic) and hours of rehearsal, I get to 'play' with 5 other terrific women on stage! I also get to play with a great team on the other side of the footlights. I am blessed to have such a team and to be able to work in the theatre with my daughter just makes the whole adventure sweeter... Living the dream!

Why did you audition for this production? When I saw that this play was up for the season at Walterdale I knew that I would be out for auditions with all my fingers and toes crossed. Tremblay is one of Canada's premier playwrights with an understanding of women and women's position in society which is so clear and truthful. This play for me is also a metaphor for Quebec through the years of the Albertines. So the research work we have all done has not only clarified my understanding of Albertine at 50, but for all the Albertines and for Quebec.

What is your background in theatre? I have taught drama/theatre studies for more than 25 years, written, directed, choreographed and designed shows for my students each year of my teaching career. In the early '80's I was an active member of Walterdale as a stage manager for 4 productions and a member of the play reading committee. Then the demands of teaching and doing major theatre events at school necessitated my pulling back. But now I am no longer teaching and have the time to devote to Walterdale: on the board as co director of FOH, on committees, as a stage manager and actor.

What is the most enjoyable part of preparing for this production? Coming together with the other women to explore the play, its meaning and nuances. Working with a great team of people who have a passion like mine!

What is the biggest challenge for you in your role on this production? The biggest challenge is getting my head around the split times and figuring out just to whom I am listening and why and to whom I am not listening and why.

What do you think this show will offer to our audiences? An in depth look at a woman's life.. a woman who may not be all that dissimilar from many women sitting in the audience. What events in one's life work to shape us, what personality characteristics push us in a certain direction and the importance of reflecting on our lives to see the patterns and pitfalls. Maybe it is never too late to change?

Any other comments? I really appreciate the opportunity Walterdale gives those of us with a passion for the theatre to find an outlet for that passion. Coming to the theatre each night of rehearsal and each night of performance is liking being given another life, and I thank the family, which includes my own daughter, I am so fortunate to being working with on this production for being there to support and encourage.

No comments:

Post a Comment