Total Pageviews

Friday, January 27, 2012

Spotlight on Phil Kreisel - Sound Designer for Albertine in Five TImes

What is your role for this production? I am the sound designer for this show. There are a number of different sounds that make up the soundscape for this show. This show is different than other shows that I’ve done in that the effects are not inserted based on stage directions in the script. Instead, these are inserted in different spots to enhance a sequence or to establish a time/place and create atmosphere. The sounds are designed to enhance the audience’s experience, and not to distract them.


Why did you come to work on this production? I’ve designed over 50 different theatre productions since 2005, so I’m well versed in the art of sound design. The previous director (Wendi Pope) and I had worked together on 3 different productions before this one, so she initially asked me to be involved. With her unfortunate passing, I stayed on when the new director (MJ Kreisel) took over. It’s just a coincidence that the director is my wife.



What is your background in theatre? I started off in theatre as an actor 12 years ago. These days, I’m more known as a sound designer, though I have also established a track record as a playwright (4 productions now) and as a director as well. With Walterdale? I’ve done numerous productions with Walterdale on a regular basis since 2004, mostly as a sound designer. I also produce the newsletter and sit on the theatre’s technical committee.



What is the most enjoyable part of preparing for this production? The biggest challenge? Determining what sounds will work and how they will best contribute to the audience’s overall experience.



What do you think this show will offer to our audiences? An insight into what goes on in our everyday thoughts, and how past events affect what we do in the present and what we might decide to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment