Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hey! It's Me Again! Kristen M. Finlay - Marcia in The Misanthrope

What is your role in the show? I have two roles on this production of The Misanthrope.  Onstage I play Marcia, a former acting teacher of the beautiful and famous Jennifer.  I am having a lot of fun playing Marcia because she is very smart and sharp and parries well onstage.  It's fun to play someone who is so smart and who believes she is right. I also get to stir up some trouble between Jennifer and Alceste and it's fun to be a conflict creator onstage, and I get to wear a couple of fabulous outfits! My other role on the production is that of Master Painter.  It has been a lot of work but it has been great bringing Travis Metzger's design to life.

What drew you to this production? I joined the production as painter first, but wanted to audition because I found the script so sharp and relevant.  The dialogue was challenging in the way that Shakespeare can be because of how Martin Crimp wrote it.  I also liked the way it had taken the classic Moliere work and transported it to present day. I thought it was intelligent and fit neatly into today.  One of the questions I always ask when approaching a play is "Why this play now?"  I think The Misanthrope says some things that are very relevant today about how we treat the famous and the talented, and how people are deceptive in their interactions.

What is your background in theatre? I have been onstage and backstage for over 30 years.  I spent many years at Keyano Theatre in Fort McMurray acting and backstage.  I then taught high school drama for several years and that is where I started directing. Since relocating to Edmonton 7 years ago I found Walterdale.  My first show was in Lunatic during the annual One Act Festival in 2006.  That was followed by Steel Magnolias, Board Work (3 years as Secretary, 2 years as Artistic Director and 1 as Treasurer).  I have directed four shows at Walterdale (Crimes of the Heart, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Rabbit Hole and most recently Nine). I have also appeared onstage in The Threepenny Opera and Black Hearts in the Greenroom.  As master painter I designed and painted Village of Idiots and I was Master Painter for Wyrd Sisters and The Weir.  Outside of Walterdale I have my own company that I Co-Artistic Direct with Anne Marie Szucs called FinallySauces.  Through it we have produced two of my scripts, From Something and Pieces. I love theatre and love that I live in Edmonton where I have the opportunity to see and do so much!

This show ends with a big party, if you were to hold a costume themed party, what kind of theme would you want it to have? I have always thought it would be fun to have a Rubik's Cube party.  That's where everyone wears 6 different coloured pieces of clothing (shirt, pants, 2 socks, hat and something else) and then during the party you trade with people to try and get all your clothes one colour.  I would have colour themed food and drinks to match the six sides of the Cube and we would play Twister (it totally relates!). It's a fun idea, I am not sure I would ever do it! 


* Photo Credit: headshot by Janine Hodder

No comments:

Post a Comment