Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Spotlight on Catherine Wenschlag - Rebbetsin in Village of Idiots

What is your role in this production? I am playing Rebbetsin; wife of the village's Rabbi. Early on, I viewed the Rebbetsin as the Village Mother. She remains that in my heart, but I have discovered that she is also the social and spiritual leader of the village, along with her husband. Also, she is all about happiness - especially romantic happiness: she wants everybody to have somebody to love!


What drew you to this production? Ever since Walterdale announced they would be doing this play, I was certain I wanted to be involved in the production in some way. I was lucky enough to be cast in the show - and even luckier to be playing the role I most wanted!



What is your history in theatre? I started performing with St. Albert Children's Theatre when I was a kid, and since then I graduated from Victoria School for the Performing and Visual Arts - where I acted, stage managed, ran lights and sound, and tackled all sorts of other theatrical tasks. Next to acting, stage management is my favorite theatre job! I have been on Walterdale's Board of Directors for the past two years, and Village of Idiots is my second chance to be on stage here, following last year's Much Ado About Nothing. Earlier this year, I was Lighting Op. for Rabbit Hole and loved every minute of that!



What is the biggest challenge for you with this show? The balance between work, rehearsal and life in general is the biggest challenge for me. I am rehearsing with kids half my age (and four times my energy level). To deal with that, I have chosen to work part time for the next few weeks to ensure I give my best to all areas of life, and to help me keep up with those young 'uns!



What is the best part? I love absolutely everything to do with theatre - from auditioning, to rehearsing, to character work, to cue-to-cues, to performances, I love it all! Of course, having a character I love to play and amazing actors to perform with makes this show even better than great. But for this production, the thing I am enjoying the most is working with our director, Linette Smith. She has an incredible way of connecting with her cast and it is a joy to watch her work and to take direction from her.



What do you hope the audiences will take away from the show? First and foremost, laughter - I hope they take a lot of laughter with them when they leave the theatre. After that, perhaps a thought or two about how sometimes, that which seems crazy is actually the best way.


No comments:

Post a Comment