Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Spotlight on Daniel Grimsen - Zisyah in Village of Idiots

What is your role in this production? I play Zisyah, a slightly... bipolar Chelmnik who seems to shoulder a lot of the burdens he sees in the world. He is passionate about what he stands for, and that definitely shows in his hatred towards the Russians. He is a curious individual who finds himself at first closed off to the new found outsider in the village but learns to embrace and love the outsider and everything he brings.


Why did you come out for this show? I had seen many shows at Walterdale and when this opportunity came up to be a part of such a charming and clever show I could not pass up the opportunity, so I decided that this was the time to try for it!

What is your personal history in theatre? This is my first show at Walterdale and I have never been thrilled to be part of something so great and so well known. I found my theatre roots in High school, Bev Facey Fine Arts provided me with some amazing opportunities theatre wise, including playing the Heartbroken Sydney Carton in his quest for redemption in A Tale of Two Cities to the Youthful, rebellious Arab in West Side Story. But since then I have been in the shows The Laramie Project and the Canadian Premiere of The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later. So overall I’m fairly new to theatre, but loving every moment of it!



What is the biggest challenge for you with this show? I think the greatest challenge from this show was tackling human connection and understanding the sense of community that this show brings forth. It isn’t a show where your on stage connecting to two or three individuals, you have to develop a story with thenumerous individuals often flooding the stage. How do I know them? How does their story intertwine with mine? It was a challenge that has taught me so much!


What do you hope the audiences will take away from the show? I hope that the audience will take away the overall meaning of being an “outsider”. Its truly a way of thinking, and often although this outside point of view may not always seem valid and correct in our eyes, we should always embrace difference as there is so much to learn from these people.


There is truly so much to learn from Chelm.

No comments:

Post a Comment