Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Spotlight on Erin Foster-O'Riordan - Sound Designer for Village of Idiots

What is your role in this production? Sound Designer

What does that involve? For me, sound design is all about mood. The script calls for specific effects, but a design also includes music and other sounds that will help to establish or highlight mood. The trick is to incorporate sounds and music in a way that complements, supports and blends with the other elements of the show rather than competing with them.

What is your personal history in theatre? I started performing as a dancer when I was very young, and have always loved the magic of the performing arts. I got into theatre and singing as a teenager, but then kind of left performing on the back burner for a while when I was in university. A number of years later, I took the adult music theatre class at the Citadel, and rediscovered my love of singing, acting and dancing. Since then, I've performed with several companies in Edmonton including Festival Players, ELOPE Musical Theatre, Edmonton Musical Theatre, and, of course, Walterdale. A dear friend and I also joined forces to start our own company, Round Barn Productions, in 2008. My predilection for making mixed cds as gifts led to me being asked to give sound design a try, and I have since designed for Walterdale, Two ONE-WAY Tickets to Broadway, Horizon Players, and Finally Sauces. My first experience with Walterdale was on stage as Truvy in Steel Magnolias in 2006 (this was when I first got to work with both Kristen Finlay, Linette Smith and Pat Eyford!). As a sound designer, I've worked on Crimes of the Heart, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Rabbit Hole and now Village of Idiots. Finally, as a playwright, my one-act play, Uncle Robert's Funeral, was a part of the 2010 From Cradle to Stage.

What is the biggest challenge for you with this show? How are you dealing with it? My biggest challenge with this show is to capture the whimsy of the village in a way that also allows for the expression of the seriousness of the threat they are under. Although this show is very funny, the setting for the story is pretty serious! I think I've found some great music that really helps to highlight both the lighter and darker sides of the story.

What do you hope the audiences will take away from the show? I hope audiences leave having soaked up the optimism of Chelm, and maybe with a few Klezmer tunes stuck in their heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment