Total Pageviews

Monday, November 14, 2011

Spotlight on Barbara Schmid - Mrs. Vitoller in Wyrd Sisters

What is your role in this production? What does that entail? If you are in the cast, describe your character. I play Mrs. Vitoller in Wyrd Sisters. She is the wife of Olwyn Vitoller who is the owner/actor in his own theatre company. I accompany the troupe and help out where I can. We had a little girl once but are now childless and are offered a little boy from the witches. I am ecstatic that I am finally going to be a Mother again!! This is the smallest role that I have ever had, but is just perfect for me now as I am a very busy Grandma to an almost 2 year old!! I am also going to help Prudence out with make-up for this show.



What brought you to this production? Seven years ago I auditioned for Les Belle Soeurs at Walterdale and was fortunate enough to get the lead role. Just after we did the first read through, I found out that my husband had colon cancer. I was not able to continue with that production. My husband went through five operations in ten months and it was at then that we thought life was too short and decided to buy a place in Mesa, Arizona and since 2006 we have been wintering there. This year, we decided to stay home for Christmas because of our Grandson and I was so thrilled that I had the opportunity to audition for Wyrd Sisters and equally thrilled that Nelson chose me to be a cast member. To be back at Walterdale is unbelievable exciting for me and to be involved with such an amazing cast and crew is just a blast from the past!!!


What is your background in Theatre? I took three years of training at the Citadel Theatre School from 1987 – 1990 and many years of workshops with Drama Works. My first play at Walterdale, The Ecstasy of Rita Joe was in 1990 and I have done over a dozen shows there over the years. I have also acted at Horizon Stage in Spruce Grove, with Festival Players in Sherwood Park, Sherard Musical Theatre in Sherwood Park and have been in about a dozen Fringe shows. At Walterdale, I have been on the executive twice, did programs for many years and was head of the make-up department for many years. Walterdale was like a second home to me and I have made many fabulous long-lasting friendships there.


Live theatre has always been a big part of my life. I was very involved in make-up at different theatres and was a professional make-up artist for about 10 years also. I also act in film and have done dozens of commercials, industrial films and movies and have had photos on a billboard and sides of buses. I have also been a professional model for about 25 years.


What is the most enjoyable thing about being involved in this production? I am back doing a play at Walterdale!!!! It is so enjoyable being back on stage with some of my old acting buddies, but being involved with this cast and crew is absolutely amazing too!!! I am so excited about being back on stage again after being away for so long.


What do you think audiences will experience if they come to this show? Wyrd Sisters is so well written and is such a wonderful comedy. Each cast member is perfect for their part and Nelson did such a great job casting. We are all going to blow the audience away!!! If they weren’t fans before, they may want to start reading the novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment