Total Pageviews

Monday, May 6, 2013

Meet Sarah Culkin - Anna in Exposure at From Cradle to Stage 2013


What is your role in this production? I play Anna in Exposure. She's a young mother who's recently been through a lot, so she's come to a sort of psychiatric workshop/recovery centre, where she meets Will and Eric.

What brought you to Walterdale? I was interested in the one-acts at the Walterdale because the productions are locally written, and it's a cool experience to work on something from square one. Watch the lil' baby grow!

What is your background in theatre? Theatre has been a big thing for me since elementary school. I've acted, directed, costumed a whole show and even written a play through the drama departments at my old schools. From there I've done children's theatre, clown and play readings, as well. I read a part in Magpies, which had a staged reading in Walterdale's one act festival last year, and right now I'm rehearsing for another locally written piece that goes up in July. Basically, I've taken every opportunity that's come my way, so I spend a lot of time not sleeping.

What has been your biggest challenge during this process? It can be tough understanding a character when you have no reference points, you know? You can't say "Oh yeah this is how she's normally played," because no one's been there before. But that's also the fun part, growing the character on your own.

Both plays this year deal with people being connected but not knowing they are connected, has anything like that ever happened to you? This is going to sound so teenage girl, but I accidentally met one of my friends through a blogging site. We would talk almost every day about our lives and our friends and oh you know also boys and at one point I realized I knew literally everyone she was talking about. It was so weird. Out of ALL the people on the website, we had started talking to each other and WE LIVED IN THE SAME CITY.

No comments:

Post a Comment