Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Introducing Michelle Durocher - The Widow and the Japanese Grandmother in Burning Vision

What is your role in this production? I will be playing The Widow, a Dene woman who keeps a fire burning for her dead husband. The second character is The Japanese Grandmother, an elderly Japanese woman who is looking for her grandson after the atomic bomb. 

What drew you to Burning VisionI was drawn to Burning Visions because I thought it sounded really interesting. I didn’t know the Canadian/First Nation connection to the war before this. It sounded like it would be an important story to tell, and I love that about theatre, the story telling and education.  


What is your background in theatre? I have a BA in Drama from the U of A, but I haven’t had much experience onstage since graduating in 2008.I’ve stage managed and worked lights for various Fringe shows, and acted in a friends production at the U of A. This is my first time acting at the Walterdale.  


What has working on this show made you think about with regards to our impact on the environment and people's cultures? Any discoveries or realizations? It makes me wonder what other secrets our history holds. I’ve discovered even more of a desire to learn about our past and participate in changing our future. 

What has been the biggest challenge of working on this show? The most enjoyable aspect?  The biggest challenge has been trying to learn to speak Japanese as the Grandmother. The most enjoyable aspect is definitely the people I’ve had the pleasure of working with and just getting back onstage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment