Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Introducing Lisa Dawn Daniels - Rose in Burning Vision


What is your role in this production?  My role in this production is Rose. She is a Métis woman in her 20s. The playwright describes her as walking between aboriginal and non-aboriginal lines. 

What drew you to Burning Vision? As a Métis woman, I was most attracted to this piece because I felt that I could personally relate to it. I worked with Sarah on a show at Walterdale last year, The Love of the Nightingale, and she told me about the play. I read it a couple times over the summer and just fell in love with the parallels that were being drawn between the aboriginal and Japanese people during WWII. 

What is your background in theatre? I got started in community theatre at the young age of 7 and have been actively involved ever since. I have my Theatre Studies Acting diploma from Red Deer College and am currently getting my Bachelor of Arts majoring in Drama at the University of Alberta. I have helped out a lot back stage and with front out of house at Walterdale in the last year, and was an actor in last season's production of The Love of the Nightingale. Walterdale has been such a wonderful place to be, and I enjoying getting involved in as many aspects of the productions as I can. 

Burning Vision deals with a piece of Canadian History that is not as well known, but which has had a long lasting impact on many people environmentally and culturally.  What has working on this show made you think about with regards to our impact on the environment and people's cultures? Any discoveries or realizations? If anything this piece has just reiterated what I have always believed: that our environmental impacts and impacts on cultures is generally a negative one and something we should be looking at reducing in the near future. Having felt the impacts on my culture, I hope that this production can bring awareness to people and shine light on a subject that is often kept in the dark. It has been a reaprivilege exploring this subject with this wonderful team of artists. 

What has been the biggest challenge of working on this show? The most enjoyable aspect? The biggest challenge for me in this show is differentiating myself from Rose. Because I feel that I can directly relate with the character as a person, it makes it very challenging to find the differences between us. That being said, it has been a wonderful journey finding Rose, and Sarah has provided wonderful support and guidance in finding Rose's subtle nuances. The most enjoyable aspect, as I always find at Walterdale, is the people. It is such a wonderful environment, and the people make the long nights of rehearsal fun and worthwhile. I am lucky to have the opportunity to get to know such a wonderful group of people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment