Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Introducing Amy Chow - Round Rose in Burning Vision


Who do you play in Burning Vision? I play a character called Round Rose, who sometimes refers to herself as Tokyo Rose. The character is based on a woman named Iva Toguri who broadcast short propaganda stints on the radio in order to affect any Allied forces who may have been listening. In this play, Round Rose appears as both her younger self, on the radio, communicating with whoever was listening, and her older self, living a more quiet life working in her father's shop.

What drew you to this project?  I studied Burning Vision in one of my courses at the University of Alberta, and I enjoyed the fragmented, episodic nature of the play. I like the parallel between the Dene and Japanese people during this time period, and I think this play is still relevant in terms of its examination of war, culture, and the environment humans abuse.

What is your background in theatre? This is my first show with Walterdale, so I'm very excited to be working with such great people in this new experience. I studied Drama at the University of Albert and have a Bachelors of Arts (Hon.) in Drama. I've been in 3 Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festivals, as a performer, and this year will be my fourth performing in two BYOV shows.

What have you learned from working on this show? I believe we all need to set goals and make commitments to sustainability. It's difficult with such a great need for petroleum products and things like cars and electricity, but since we only have one plant to live on (for now, at least) I think we should take care of it. Burning Vision could very well be a projection of our future and our dependency for oil. When I read this play I ask, if we continue to let our lives be consumed by the need to mine our planet for its resources, what will happen to us when they're gone and the Earth is just a shell of what it was?

In terms of culture, it's hard for me to imagine the hardships the Dene and the Japanese went through during WWII. For me, Burning Vision tells us to look closely at the scars that still run through Canada’s past; they may be healed on paper, but the consequences are still present. Although I don’t know what can or should be done, it is important to recognize that lives are still being affected because of what has happened.

How has the process been for you? I was a late addition to the team, so the biggest challenge for me will be to catch up to everyone, still keeping the group dynamic and rhythm going. I really enjoy seeing such a variety of people coming to do what they love to do. And it’s always fantastic to see the space being built up and the transformation of the play into a show. I’m very excited to see Burning Vision go up, and very grateful to be able to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment