Total Pageviews

Monday, October 10, 2011

Introducing Sarah Van Tassel - Walterdale's Artistic Director and Director of Reasons to be Pretty

Can you tell us a little bit about your background in theatre? I'm very excited to be the Artistic Director of Walterdale for the next two seasons! After graduating from the U of A with a minor in drama I joined Walterdale's Board of Directors as Co-Director of Productions from 2005-2007. While on the board I did everything from production manage, run sound and lights, help with props, FOH and direct a few shows (assistant director for Antony & Cleopatra and director for You are Here). In 2008 I launched my own independent theatre company, Guts&Guile Productions, and have directed and produced a handful of productions including Sarah Kane's Crave and David Mamet's Oleanna. This past season I wrote my first play, Gone. *Winner of the 2011 Edmonton ADFA Zones

Why did you want to take on the job of Artistic Director for Walterdale? I feel like I got my start in the Edmonton Theatre community through Walterdale. It's a great place to learn new things - I know that I have a lot to learn in this new role and I'm excited to be back at Walterdale working with so many dedicated and inspiring people.

What should audiences and members expect from you over the next two seasons? Audience should expect to see theatre that will engage them. Whether it's provocative material that will make them think about the world around them or knee-slapping comedies that will have them still giggling the next day - I hope audience walk out of each performance feeling like they connected with the actors on stage or the story being told.

What are the challenges you are anticipating in the next little while with regards to the position? There's been a fairly high learning curve thus far - everything from picking a season to getting each of the productions to come together. And there have been a few curveballs already, but the show(s) must go on... It's been a lot of fun so far and I've already had so much help and encouragment from the Board.

What is one cool fact about you that most people might not know? I'm a film geek! My major in University was Film Studies and I love watching, talking and learning about all kinds of different movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment