Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

Spotlight on Kelsey Wangler - Choreographer of The Threepenny Opera

What is your background in theatre?

My work in theatre began in Jr. High and continued throughout High School and into University. I began as an actor in several shows in Jr. High and High School including Annie, And Then There Were None and High School Musical. In my final year of high school I undertook by first role as director, directing a one act play Totally Red. I also began choreographing with How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Outside of Jr. High and High School my primary work has been in choreographing. I have recently been involved in choreographing Spruce Grove Composite High School's productions of Grease and Beauty and the Beast. I was also involved in choreographing the Fringe production of Famished.

Outside of theatre, I have been involved in the dance community for 18 years. I have trained in many disciplines: including tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, lyrical, and musical theatre. I am currently a dance teacher at Ward School of Dance in Spruce Grove.

This is my first time working with the Walterdale and I am very excited about moving into a new area of theatre. This is a great opportunity and I'm very glad to get to be a part of it.

What is your role on this production?

I am the choreographer for The Threepenny Opera. This involves instilling movement in the musical numbers that works in collaboration with the character's, the director's vision, and the general feel of the show. As the choreographer, it is my goal to maintain the concept of epic theatre that is present within Threepenny, all the while incorporating the individuality of this particular cast and my own ideas into one overall product.


Why did you join the team for this show?

Curtis (the Director) approached me after I had worked with him during Famished. What attracted me most to this project is that I have yet to work in an arena outside of a high school production or a one act. This is not only an intriguing opportunity as it is a very interesting play, but also because it allows me to work in setting that I have not yet experienced. It's a new challenge that I am very excited to take on!

What has been the most enjoyable thing about being involved in the show? What has been the most challenging thing?

I have very much enjoyed working with Curtis and the rest of the cast. Everyone has been very receptive and helpful throughout the entire process thus far. The challenge of working in an unfamiliar territory has been very rewarding! I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to take on this challenge.

What do you hope the audience gets out of the show?

I hope the audience enjoys the experience of an epic theatre production. This show incorporates very different elements from many other productions and I hope that the audience enjoys the unique experience that is The Threepenny Opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment