Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

Spotlight on Kara Little - Dolly in The Threepenny Opera

What is your background in theatre?
I always enjoyed singing but never thought I was any good at it. I was singing along with a group when a woman near me was belting out harmonies, so I started singing with her. My friends heard me and told me that I could actually sing - I was mortified that they heard me! I got over it and started to see if there was something I could do with this. I took some singing lessons at Grant MacEwan then Musical Theatre at the Citadel, and my classmates pointed me in the direction of auditions with Edmonton Musical Theatre. I would have never tried without their encouragement. Now I perform in about one show a year and have played with Lethbridge Musical Theatre, Horizon Players, Sherard Musical Theatre and ELOPE. This is my first production with the Walterdale and I can't wait!

What is your role on this production?
I play the role of Dolly, one of Mackie's "girls". She enjoys her power over men and is very opportunistic in taking advantage of them or of rich Londoners by parading as the poorest of the poor.

What attracted you to the project?
I love musicals and I've worked with most of the production crew before, so I was excited to have the chance to work with them again for my first production in the historic Walterdale.

What has been the most enjoyable thing about being involved in the show? What has been the most challenging thing?
I'm enjoying working with a cast that is very talented and supportive and challenges us to break out of our "polite Canadian" ways!

What do you hope the audience gets out of the show?
I hope it can be a fun escape from the daily routine. Some may want to peel away the layers of the characters and decipher what their motivation really is, and others may just lean back, turn their brains off and enjoy an entertaining show!

No comments:

Post a Comment