Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2011

Spotlight on Dean Krawchuk - Warden Smith in The Threepenny Opera

What is your role in this production? My character is Smith, the Warden of the London Police. This character is very greasy. He loves having power over people, and he uses and abuses this privilege. It's quite fun to play a character that is very different from myself.

How long have you been involved in theatre? I have been involved in theatre from an early age. I started from the dance side, and moved into acting when I was 12 years old. Now, I have a B.Ed with a Drama major, and have been teaching drama for the past 5 years. The Threepenny Opera is my second show with Walterdale. I was also in You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown! I have also recently appeared in The Laramie Project and Famished here in Edmonton.

Why did you come out for this show? I have worked with the Director, Curtis Knecht, and a number of the people on the Production Team in the past and had really enjoyed the process of working with them so I wanted to do it again. I also wanted to get involved with another show and the timing was perfect.

What has been the most enjoyable thing about this show? The most challenging? I like working with people I have not worked with before and seeing what they bring to an ensemble. I am often watching people as they are rehearsing to see their energy and commitment to their character and the process. It is fun for me to see how everyone's character grows in the rehearsal process. It helps me develop my own character, and sometimes I see a new approach that I have not seen in the past and I make note of it for future use. The most challenging thing in this process is the music. Some of the notes are very high, so I am very happy that Sally (Sally Hunt - The Music Director) has let a few of us men sing some parts an octave lower than what is written.

Any final comments? I hope the audience has fun. I know this is a different style of show for some people, but as long as they have fun watching it, that's all I can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment