Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Spotlight on Erin Valentine - Stage Manager of Rabbit Hole

What is your role in this production? I am lucky to be Stage Managing this show. Some of the things I did were writing down blocking, giving lines notes, and keeping track of all the food!

Why did you join this team? Several months before the auditions for Rabbit Hole, I asked Kristen about getting involved in Walterdale and she offered to have me Stage Manage the show she was directing. I had no idea at the time what the show even was, but after reading the script I was so grateful to be a part of it. The characters drew me in - even just on paper, they were people I cared about and wanted to learn more about. I couldn't wait to see them come to life and be a part of making that happen!

What is your background in theatre? I sort of fell into doing theatre a few years ago when I was still in high school and loved it from the get-go. I started as a Props Manager and stage crews but Stage Management always appealed to me. In grade 12 I had the experience of stage managing a couple of one acts, and in the year and a half since graduating I've been prowling the Edmonton theatre scene for further opportunities. From stage managing a musical (Annie - Sherard) and a Fringe Show, and working running crew and lighting operator here at Walterdale, to helping to build and paint sets, I've been very fortunate to be able to try my hand at so many aspects of theatre on so many shows. Every show I get to be involved in makes me love theatre more, and I'm looking forward to remaining a part of the theatre world, both in community theatre and at the U of A in the Fall.

What do you hope audiences will take away from the show? Part of what makes this play so beautiful for me is the small moments - a glance between two family members or a quick smile at a subtle joke. I hope the audiences will see and feel these moments, and leave with an appreciation of the little things that define relationships and pull people through whatever pain they're dealing with. I hope they'll see the hope surfacing throughout the show, and feel as uplifted in the moments of lightness as they do pained in the moments of tragedy.

What has been your favorite part of the show? The people that have been involved in the show are just amazing. I am relatively new to theatre compared to some of the theatre veterans I've been able to work so closely with, and I have learned so much from everyone. I'm grateful to have the designers, cast and production team that we have - I've been able to fully trust everyone involved, which made it a really safe environment in which to grow as a stage manager. And everyone is so talented; it just blows my mind. I'll quit gushing now, but really, this has been such a solid cast and crew to work with and I'm honoured to be bringing a show to the stage with this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment