Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spotlight on Amelia Maciejewski - Izzy in Rabbit Hole

What is your role in this production? I play Izzy. She is a free-spirited person who has a blunt perspective on life, and who is in desperate need of attention. She is also Becca's sister.

Why did you come out for this show? I originally auditioned for the role of Becca because I really connected with her struggles and ways of coping. I haven't had a child die, but for the past 2 years have gone through a child being diagnosed with Autism and find that there are some similarities of grieving, coping, distancing, disconnection and a shift in reality. Some of the comment on support groups (for parents who have lost a child) are almost verbatim of what I experienced, and divorce is rampant amongst families in the Autism community. There is such a feeling of helplessness that I could see Becca's need for whatever control she could take. One thing that sets me apart from Becca, however, is that I use humour to cope with my struggles and so Izzy was the better fit... and it is a lighter journey to take so I get to have lots of fun! I like to let the wild woman out once in awhile.

What is your background in theatre? I have a BA in Drama from the U of A '00. This is my 6th Walterdale Production. I am also the CO-Director of Media for Walterdale and have been a Radio and Stage Actor.

What do you hope audiences will take away from the show? The interconnectedness of human struggle - that everyone goes through loss in some form and you are not alone on the journey. Don't let the storyline discourage you from coming because you think it will be too depressing or full of emoting - this is a realistic look at how a family is dealing with change, with all of it's quirks and dysfunction.

What has been your favorite part of this journey? Being able to explore delivery of lines to humour not only myself, but hopefully some audience members as well. I also got to work with awesome people and that helped in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment