Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spotlight on Christopher Nash - Sound Designer for Burning Vision

What is your role on this production? I'm the Sound Designer, so I came up with the long list of sound cues for the show.  Many of the sounds are made from scratch.  I even got my inner Hank Williams on to sing I Saw the Light.

What drew you to Burning Vision as a project to work on? I'm a musician and songwriter (I post my stuff to topher.ca), and when my friend Sarah was going to direct Burning Vision, she contacted me to see if I would be interested in giving sound design a try. It was an excellent way to stretch myself and learn something new.

What is your background in theatre? I was in a couple of musicals as a child growing up in Wainwright. In university I was the on-stage music director for summer musical revues in Lethbridge. I have no recent experience in sound design - I'm pretty much a newbie. The only background I have with Walterdale is that I travelled to Japan with its former artistic director Sam Varteniuk.

Burning Vision deals with Canadian History that is not well known, but which has had a long lasting impact on many people environmentally and culturally. What has working on this show made you think about with regards to our impact on the environment and people's cultures? My background is Japanese-Canadian, so the Second World War and the atomic bomb and Hiroshima and internment camps are all very much a part of my personal history. So that impact of the play was obvious to me going in. The surprise was the aspect of how Canada mined the uranium for the bomb. I had never heard of that before. It makes me think of our involvement in the war in a whole new way.

What has been the biggest challenge of working on this show? The most enjoyable aspect?  Being new to everything was a little scary. Learning the sound cue software took some getting used to. The sheer volume of the number of sound cues was a bit of a challenge. But the most enjoyable aspect was working with the great production team and crew to cobble together a show that was hard to do, but comes off as very impressive. That, and making the sound of a bomb that scares the shit out of everyone was pretty damn satisfying, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment