Total Pageviews

Friday, March 16, 2012

Spotlight on Quinn Hinch - Male Chorus Member in The Love of the Nightingale

What is your role in this production? My role in this production is as a member of the 2 member male chorus. This role entailed re-structuring the lines for the male chorus. Initially it was not divided up as a two person role. So John (Trehart) and myself had to design our lines to be split between the two of us. This included repetition, dividing up and reading lines in sync. As the male chorus we are "journalists of an antique world, putting horror into words. Unable to stop the events we will soon record."

Why did you come out for this show? What drew me to this production was my previous experience in the Walterdale. I enjoyed my time so much that I knew I wanted to work with this theatre again. Another reason was the director, Alex Hawkins, he had taught me as well as advised me throughout my first 3 years at the University of Alberta (as a DRAMA major). I was drawn to his directing style and wanted the chance to work with him outside of the classroom.

What is your background in theatre? I have been performing since I could walk and been in theatre since grade 6. I had been in school performances all through Jr. High and High School and made my first debut on the Edmonton theatre scene with the Walterdale's production of Rabbit Hole directed by Kristen Finlay last year. It was an incredible experience, I was cast as the understudy for Jason two weeks before the show went up and due to certain events got to perform in more shows than the person originally cast. I enjoyed having the opportunity to perform again. This past summer my theatre company Vagabond Theatre put up our first show called Papa's Got A Brand New Urn. I wrote, directed, produced and acted in this piece which was a great success. We are currently writing another show for the 2012 Fringe called The Complete History of the World in 60 Minutes.

What challenges have you met in this production? What has been most enjoyable? The biggest challenge in this production was re-designing the script to fit two male chorus members. It was a challenge John and myself took head on and although changes are still evolving we feel confident with the decisions we have made. The most enjoyable thing is just being on the stage again, you definitely get that actors' high when you step out on the stage even during rehearsals.

What do you hope the audience will take away from this show? The audience will get the myth, with the help of the male chorus providing direction. Our goal is to have the audience take away their own interpretation of the myth and apply it to their own life.

Any last comments? I'd like to thank all my friends, family, cast, and crew for their support and giving me the opportunity to do what I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment