Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spotlight on Marsha Amanova - Procne in The Love of the Nightingale

What is your role in this production? I am playing the role of Procne, a young Athenian woman whose father weds her to King Tereus in gratitude for his help in winning the war. She becomes queen of Thrace, but has trouble adapting to Thracian culture and becomes desperately lonely. Procne sends her husband back to Athens to bring her younger sister Philomele for a visit, which begins the tragic chain of events.

What drew you to this production? I first read the play a year ago and was interested in the depth of the female characters. They are strong women whose ability to exercise power is limited because of their gender. I like the playwright's retelling of the myth. I was also interested in working with Director Alex Hawkins again!

What is your background in theatre? I've dabbled in theatre since Jr. High, mainly acting. I grew up in small towns and was a bit intimidated by the active theatre community in Edmonton when I moved here in the mid-nineties. I missed being onstage, and eventually joined a troupe of fellow English students and theatre lovers at the U of A. Shortly thereafter my Play Analysis Prof (Alex Hawkins) encouraged me to audition for the play he was directing at Walterdale (Cyrano de Bergerac). I was fortunate enough to be able to join the talented cast of that show, and I enjoyed my experience so much that I stuck around as a member over the years. In addition to acting, I have also dabbled in directing and have been a member of the Board of Directors for two seasons as Front of House Co-Director.

What is the biggest challenge with this production? The most enjoyable thing? Getting into the psyche of a character is always a challenge; fortunately it's also one of the things I most enjoy about acting! Procne experiences a wide range of intense emotions throughout the play, including: joy, fear, depression, frustration, anxiety, and anger. She is sincere in her belief that Athenians are better than others; she's loving, loyal and stubborn, and she spends much of the play in deep denial. While it can be difficult to fully comprehend these traits and the actions that Procne takes, much of the joy of the rehearsal process is finding a way to portray the character onstage in such a way that the audience is able to accept them.

What do you think our audiences will take away from this production? Although this play is not a traditional Greek Tragedy (it is a modern play based on a Greek myth), I still believe audiences will come away from this show with a feeling of catharsis. The myth of Procne, Tereus and Philomele is likely to invoke intense feelings in the audience throughout the play, and I hope that by the end of the show they are able to experience that release. However, I also believe the themes in the play have relevance today, and we don't want our audiences to accept or ignore these ideas. At the end of the show, I simply hope that people leave the theatre wanting to discuss what they have seen with their friends.

Any last comments you'd like to share? It is an honour and a pleasure to work with such a committed and dedicated team, from my fellow thespians to our esteemed production team. It's wonderful to be able to work closely with new friends and old. I ♥ Walterdale!

No comments:

Post a Comment