Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Spotlight on Eric Smith - Schmendrick in Village of Idiots

What is your role in the production? I play Schmendrick. He is a silly character who is a very adventurous type and loves to tell people of his story of his wanders from village to village (Sadly, he has only mistakenly come back to the same village each and every time). One of his weaknesses is food and he is deathly afraid of his wife, whom we never actually get to see. And even one time, he becomes a part of the Russian army.

Why did you come out for the show? I came out for the show because of my passion for the arts, I have only done plays in high school but I have realized that it is a great passion of mine and that I know that I want to further it in the future. When I saw the advertisement for auditions for the show, I jumped at the chance.

What is your background in theatre? This is my first Walterdale performance. I have been a part of many shows in high school. Some credits include, Alice in Wonderland as the Mad Hatter, Annie as Oliver Warbucks, Grease as Danny Zuko, and just recently, The Princess Bride as Prince Humperdinck.

What is the biggest challenge for you, with this show? I would have to say that the biggest challenge for me is the excitement and the energy that Schmendrick needs to fully be characterized, I'm running around the stage at all times. My character does not stop moving... Ever! But i just know that I get that energy from within and I'm channelling it in from the ensemble that we have in this amazing production, their energy is amazing and I definitely can't see doing this play with any other people than this amazing cast.

What are you enjoying the most? The part that I'm enjoying the most is the chemistry that this cast has together that just shines upon that stage. It really is something that is indescribable, something that has to be seen to fully understand. I love each and everyone of my cast mates.

What do you want the audience to take away from the show? I really do feel that there is a lesson to be learned throughout this whole play, that sometimes, no matter how smart you think you are, you've always got something to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment