Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2011

Spotlight on John Evans - Mack the Knife in The Threepenny Opera

What is your role in this production? I did some set painting and some props wrangling (armourer) but my main role in this production is as an actor playing MacHeath (Mack the Knife). Mack is the leader of a gang of ne'er do well pick pockets and murderers. He was in the Army previous to his life of crime and when he returned home there wasn't much for him but to steal and kill to survive. The army had taught him to be remorseless so it was an easy conversion for him. He does seek out the ladies, as well, primarily for carnal pleasures, and occasionally for affection, or business connections. There is a seed of humanity in him, but it is difficult to find and most likely not worth the voyage to find it.

What drew you to this show? The chance to be directed by Curtis Knecht, as I was interested to see what his style would be. As well, I had heard about a few of the people auditioning and I was interested in possibly working with them. The music is dark and the show is demanding and I was looking forward to the challenge of a show that has, in the past, not necessarily been appreciated by the critics. I was curious about what we could do that others hadn't. Also, it is always a pleasure working with Sally Hunt as Music Director. I was looking forward to coming home to a theatre family I had been away from for awhile and at the same time getting to know some of the new blood moving up in the theatre community.


What is your background in theatre? I am a Graduate of the Theatre Studies program offered by RDC as well I have performed in about 40 shows both in community and professional theatre. I own a Production Company (The October People) with my wife Kat. We specialize in special effects/gore, as well as costume and prop rental. I have done some ASM work as well and a little directing.


What has been most challenging about this project for you? Crawling into the skin of a sociopathic killer. It's like pulling on a wet t-shirt: it's cold and uncomfortable and difficult to get on at first but once you acclimatize to it, it's quite refreshing. It's out of my comfort zone but sometimes it's nice to try and push past those road blocks and see what you can do. The abusive behaviour to the ladies would truly be the hardest obstacle to overcome but we have built a comfort level with each other and we everything in a very safe manner.


What has been the best thing about this experience? The lovely, lovely people I have gotten to work with. Everyone has given 110% to this show in so many capacities and it has been a thrill to watch these somewhat shy and reserved people turn into London's worst and most depraved. It has been a fascinating thing to watch. The costumers, designers, actors, technicians, painters and builders etc... have all worked so tirelessly on this project so it has come to life in an incredible way. Having all the components come together like this is an amazing gift to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment