Total Pageviews

Friday, October 16, 2009

Jimmy Dean - We are Up and Running!

Wednesday marked the Opening Night for Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean. I was very nervous to do the opening night pre-show speech. I know why. I can get up and do the mot ridiculous things from a script, but when it is me up there I get very nervous. Also, I personally dislike pre-show speeches. I feel they interfere with the artistic concept of the show so part of me rails against doing them! I tried to make it short so we could get to the good stuff - the show! I was very pleased to see the way this show came to life. Since I sat in on auditions I saw the potential and it was gratifying to see the cast fulfill that. Stand outs for me were Zoe Hawnt as Sissy (now) as I had never seen her onstage in that sort of role before and she was very fun! I also was quite impressed with Keltie Squires who stepped into the show a mere 3 1/2 weeks before Opening. Actually, though, the whole cast was very even. No one felt as though they were out-acted by any of the others. It was a true ensemble, very connected and active in a challenging piece that flits back and forth from 1955 to 1975. I thought that the Director and her Production Team dealt well with the challenge of the time switch and they produced a lovely, fast-paced, conceptually consistent, well executed show. For me, as AD, it was a good start to 2 years!

The following articles were in the local papers today.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/entertainment/columnists/colin_maclean/2009/10/16/11420006-sun.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Come%20Back%20Five%20Dime%20Jimmy%20Dean%20Jimmy%20Dean/2110178/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment