Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Auditions - A Beautiful Thing...

One of the things I have been doing as AD of Walterdale is sit in on all the auditions for the shows this season. This past Sunday and Monday night we held the auditions for our February show, Beautiful Thing. Being involved in all the auditions, even just as an observer has given me a great opportunity to see the depth of our talent pool. I am not sure of the exact cast for this show, but I have an idea based on my own assessments of who is in running. I know that based on those who came out we shall have a strong cast. This is exciting as I figured this would be the most challenging show in our season to cast.

I have also gotten to observe the same people auditioning more than one time. One thing I am tremendously pleased with is that over the course of consecutive auditions I have seen marked improvement in some of the auditioners. That means that they are either learning from the experience, or they are going away and training or re-thinking their approach. For me, as a Director at Walterdale, it makes me excited to think that some of these people may audition for me down the line. Please, please, please do not stop coming out for auditions. There were people we saw that were good, but just not right in the mix or right for the part... there will be a part for you eventually! I know it! One long-time Walterdalian told me this weekend, she auditioned 12 times before she finally got into a Walterdale show, but it was worth it!

Another benefit to this round is that Justen Bennett, the Director, had me do a little introduction to Walterdale while he sorted readings. I hope that some of the people listened and will take me up on the offer to fine a role in our community even if they do not get cast. Walterdale is about opportunity, but sometimes the opportunity looks different than you think it will!

No comments:

Post a Comment