Total Pageviews

Friday, January 11, 2013

Introducing Cheryl Vandergraaf - Nellie Ewell in Summer and Smoke

What is your role on this production? I play the part of Nellie Ewell, the adorable yet “precocious little imp” who is Alma’s young vocal student. She starts out as an energetic girl, who has found her crush and is head over heels for him. She abandons her preconceived notions of men (none of which were held in high esteem, due to her mother’s naughty habits with travelling salesmen) and, with some persuasion from “her” wonderful Dr. John, leaves town to learn how to become a lady at Sophie Newcomb’s Girl’s School. When she returns she has become quite the lady; her clothes and speech are most proper, but her youthful playfulness remains the same.

What drew you to this show? I have seen snippets of Summer and Smoke here and there – a scene for a theatre company, a monologue for a drama class – and it piqued my interest; it seemed like such a passionate play. When I met Rhiannon (assistant director) at U of A’s drama orientation and she mentioned auditions were being held at Walterdale, there was no way I was going to miss the chance to see what it was truly all about.

What is your background in theatre? My background in theatre starts out the same as many: school plays and Christmas plays at church. I found freedom in becoming someone I’m not under stage lights, so I pursued acting and attended Central Memorial High School, which has a program that specializes in theatre. After high school I took classes at the Company of Rogues Acting Studio and now I am studying drama at the University of Alberta. Being new to Edmonton, this is my first association with Walterdale.

Share with us a favorite memory involving either summer or smoke. My favorite memory… What a tough question – I could give so many answers!! I believe my favorite memory would be this past summer. My three friends and I were backpacking throughout Europe but hadn’t accounted for the Cannes Film Festival. We very rarely booked ahead, and this became a problem. After two nights in a lovely hotel in Nice, we were kicked out to accommodate those who had made reservations. Seeing how it was a Friday night and every room in the city seemed to be taken, my three friends and I took to the rocky beach and slept next to the ocean. Well, tried to sleep. Humans are not made to sleep on rocks. It was also a Friday night, so the beach was quite rowdy till the wee hours of the morning. We made plenty of friends and only one nemesis. Was the soreness the next day and immense exhaustion worth it, only to be able to say “I slept on a beach in France”? The answer is yes. Yes it was most certainly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment