Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 28, 2011

From Cradle to Stage 2011 - Closing Night

Tonight is Closing Night for From Cradle to Stage 2011. I have truly enjoyed the From Cradle to Stage experience over the last two years of my tenure as Artistic Director. I have been involved in the festival in some capacity over the last 6 seasons, and to me it has a special place in my heart. I think because I am also a Playwright in addition to acting and directing (and coming soon, set designing) that I love this show so much. There are certainly places where you can, as a new playwright, get your work onstage, but many of them involve self-producing (Fringe, Indie theatre) or special age considerations (NextFest or high school festivals or other emerging artist opportunities) or a certain level of experience (Professional theatres). For the playwright who starts out late (as I did) or who lacks the resources to self-produce this is wonderful opportunity. We have amped it up as well, by incorporating in Dramaturgy (with Brian Dooley and Tracy Carroll these past two seasons) to develop the work and assist our playwrights in really seeing where they could take their work. It also provides opportunities for directors and actors who get to be the first to explore and produce the stories onstage. How many chances do you get where you get to be the first?

I hope that you make it out tonight to see the shows if you haven't already. I will be there. Maybe I will see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment