Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Changing of the Guard...

We closed Perfect Pie this weekend. It was truly a lovely show with fine work from all involved. If you missed it - you missed a very fine show, indeed. It was a pretty smooth show with a very strong experienced team helping out first time Walterdale Director Mary Jane Kreisel. Kudos to all involved!

Now the Team for Much Ado About Nothing is moving into the space. George is already working on the set and assembling his build and painting teams. The show is almost completely blocked and the cast will be measured this week for costumes. As Props Person, I have done quite a bit of work on the masks and a bit of the running around to find other things. That will be my focus now.

In a delightful turn of events, the rehearsal schedule for Much Ado About Nothing is almost opposite to the rehearsal schedule for Rabbit Hole, so for a few weeks these two teams will actually share the space. This is a rare event because usually teams find they all want to rehearse the same nights. I know I can truly say that Rabbit Hole feels blessed to get extra time in the space to feel at home. It's nice when we can all play together.

It feels a bit strange for me to realize that I am over halfway through my term as Artistic Director. This was highlighted by the release of the advertisements for the next AD. It went out this morning. I will do my best to answer any questions that interested people have about the position. It is a unique job that I am truly enjoying (99.9 % of the time). Being a AD in a Community Theatre has different challenges than in other settings. Many of these challenges are extremely rewarding, however, if you approach it from the wrong perspective it can make things more difficult. I will say that it is a job that requires almost infinite patience since many of the people doing theatre here at Walterdale do it because they are truly passionate about it and passion can lead to emotional reactions as opposed to rational ones. Again, any questions - ask me. I will do my best to fill you in on what is involved. The advertisement can be found at the Walterdale Playhouse website and on our Fan Page on Facebook. We will also be posting at Theatre Alberta and other theatre related sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment