Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Check!

The Rights for all 5 plays have been applied for. We have received definite 'yeses' on two of them and the other 3 have received confirmation of application. They are with Samuel French and the reply says 2-4 weeks for processing. I am not anticipating any problems, but I want to know for sure so that we can move on to the next step... budgets!

One of the plays is by a local playwright so that is very exciting to me. It is great to be supporting not only Canadian, but Albertan playwrights. Another deals with two young gay teenagers who fall in love. It is a beautiful play and so well written.

I read the latest APN newsletter and it talked about female playwrights and I was disappointed in myself in that none of the plays I proposed were written by female playwrights (both of my back-ups were, however). I did select the shows with women in mind, at least with regards to acting roles, but I totally ignored the playwrights. Hmmm. I still want to select strong scripts so for next year I am hoping that the submissions include some strong pieces by women! I do have 3 female directors lined up. It is an interesting situation. I do not want to be partial one way or another, but I would rather pick the best candidates. If they happen to be women, that's great, but if they aren't, I would hope that people realize I was selecting on merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment