Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Anglia Redding and Jeff Turkiewicz- ASM and Sound Op. on The Weir

Anglia has been attached to The Weir since before auditions when she stepped up to ASM. She recently brought her husband Jeff onboard to join the team as Sound Op.

What is your role in the production?
Anglia – I’m one of two assistant stage managers who are working behind the scenes to make sure that the actors have all necessary props on hand. When you see them spending money, I made sure it got into the pocket!
Jeff - I was recruited to be the light operator, but I was promoted* to sound operator before I even set foot in the booth.
*Note: there is no official ranking between sound op. and lighting op. but for this show, sound op. has more cues...

What is your background in theatre?
Anglia – I was quite a shy person (hard to believe, I know) until I was cast as Jacob Marley in a elementary school production of A Christmas Carol when I was 12. My love of theatre really snowballed from there. I attended Artstrek, a summer theatre camp, for three consecutive years. I completed a two-year Visual and Performing Arts diploma at Keyano Theatre in Fort McMurray. I played roles in Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, Les Belles Soeurs, The Trojan Women, The Grapes of Wrath, and the female version of The Odd Couple, as well as many others. Whatever show I wasn’t cast in, I always found a way to weasel my way backstage. The Weir actually ends a 12-year hiatus from the theatre.
Jeff – My background usually consisted of me being an audience member. This is the first show I’ve actually participated in.

Do you have a favourite ghost story you can relate?

Anglia – I am alternately terrified and fascinated with ghosts. I love watching ghost-hunting shows and became particularly entranced by a British series called Most Haunted. There was a group of people and they would set up cameras and other equipment and hang out in a supposedly haunted location all night long. One episode had them hanging out in an brewery. A member of the team went into the basement by himself armed only with a camera. There was a keg ramp that was used to roll the metal containers down onto the floor – it was quite a steep grade. As the guy started talking to whatever entity he thought was there, a keg full of stout began rolling UP the ramp – a feat that’s impossible unless two people are pushing it. And he was down there by himself! I actually shrieked out loud. Jeff made fun of me for at least a week.
Jeff – Although I consider myself a skeptic, I do love a good ghost story. When I was a kid, the movie The Changeling starring George C. Scott, terrified the hell out of me. I remember sneaking out of bed and hiding behind my mother’s armchair to watch it when I should have been in bed. I had nightmares for weeks. Having re-watched it as an adult, it certainly wasn’t as scary as it was when I was little, but that memory has always stayed with me.

Why do you think audiences should come and see The Weir?

Anglia – It’s the perfect play for October. There’s always been a little but of spookiness associated with it because of its lead up to Halloween. The Weir is great way to get a little chill down the spine before it’s time for all the ghosts and ghouls to come out for real.
Jeff – I think it’s great to come out and support local theatre. Plus what Ang said.

No comments:

Post a Comment