Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Spotlight on Kristen M. Finlay - Master Painter for The Weir at Walterdale Theatre

What is your role on this Production? I am the Master Painter for the The Weir.  For this particular show this means that I am picking the paint and deciding how to colour the world created by Set Designer Jim Herchak.  I also coordinate the painting volunteers and show them what to do and decide on textures and techniques to paint the set.

What is your background in theatre?  With Walterdale? I have been involved in theatre since grade 7 when I played a party guest in A Christmas Carol. I was upgraded to fiddler at the party because the girl who was supposed to do that failed to show up for the performance.  Luckily it was miming the fiddle because I do not play.  I grew up in Fort McMurray and in high school I started doing work both backstage and onstage at Keyano Theatre.  After teaching math and science for several years I moved into teaching high school drama, it was there that I started directing and later playwriting.  I moved to Edmonton in 2005 and met some Walterdale members while doing an ELOPE show.  They recommended Walterdale's One Acts and I auditioned for and was cast in Lunatic in spring of 2006.  I knew the minute I stepped in the building that I had found a home.  Since then I have appeared onstage here several times (Steel Magnolias, Black Hearts in the Green Room, The Threepenny Opera), have had a play produced (Pieces - 2007 version), have directed (Crimes of the Heart, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Rabbit Hole, Nine), have designed a set (Village of Idiots) and props (Much Ado About Nothing) and have been master painter (Wyrd Sisters). I have also served on the Board of Directors as Secretary and Treasurer and am a former Artistic Director (2009-2011).  Next I will be onstage again in The Misanthrope in December. You might say I like it here.

What is your favorite scary story? Well, I am not a scary story fan.  Ask my husband, he will tell you I jump at the slightest "Boo!" in a movie.  However, I am a fan of Walter, our resident ghost.  I believe that Walter is a benevolent spirit who might like to goof up the works when he is feeling saucy, but I like the idea that the building is thought to house a ghost.  It's nice to think that the building is never completely empty.

Biggest Challenge of this production for you? This is a really big paint job - lots of surfaces and lots of textures and I have had to figure out a lot on my own in terms of colours (Jim trusts me).  Usually I rely heavily on Joan Hawkins to help when I have to figure out how to do something as she is the paint guru at Walterdale, but she is out of town.  The challenge for me has been trusting myself to get it right.  I turned a corner this week and I like where it is going.  I hope you all do too!

* headshot photo credit: Janine Hodder
* snuggie photo - Kristen and Nathan Stasiewich (her Assistant Director) at the Nine Sitz Probe

No comments:

Post a Comment