Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spotlight on Katy Boulter - Diana in Nine, The Musical

What is your role in this production? My character in the Walterdale production of “Nine” is Diana, a British model aspiring to become an actress, working as a chambermaid in Italy. As a part of the ensemble, however, my role involves becoming multiple characters and understanding not only 1960’s Italy, but also women of burlesque clubs, the sixteenth century, and nunneries.

What is your background in theatre? I’m from a small town (Drayton Valley) where there is a very small arts community. My experience stems from years of singing lessons, and high school productions (Krazy Kamp, Pirate’s Life for Me, Nifty Fifties and Back to the 80’s) with budgets of next to nothing. I feel like a Broadway star coming from Drayton to Walterdale and having someone other than my mom making my costumes!

What are your goals for the future in regards to theatre? My goal in theatre is to gain enough experience so I may become a Drama teacher in a small town and provide my students with every opportunity to enjoy the arts too.

What is your favourite thing about the production so far? I don’t think I could name a single thing as my favourite part of this production. “La singing, and la dancing” are great fun (and a workout!) and the cast and crew are all so filled with energy and humour. Nothing is better than a mixture of your passion for theatre and spending your time with others who love it too.

Anything else to share? I was SHOCKED to learn that there is a resident ghost in the Walterdale Theatre, where we will be rehearsing and performing for the next 8 weeks. As my family and close friends know, I have a history with ghosts, and am a little spooked... So you can expect to find me throwing salt over my shoulder, rubbing rabbit feet and hiding horseshoes in the dressing room. But hopefully the serendipity of there being nine “K” named women in the show will be luck enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment