Total Pageviews

Monday, April 30, 2012

Spotlight on Wes Schofield - Playwright of poor defenseless creatures in From Cradle to Stage 2012

Wes Schofield – What is your role in this production?  I wrote poor defenceless creatures and I am also performing as the Narrator in the reading.

What does this involve?  It was important to Brooke Leifso, my Director, since I am performing double duty in the production that we make a distinction between when I am an actor and when I am a writer. 

At our first rehearsal I was there as the playwright, so I talked a bit about why I wrote the play and some of my intentions with the script. However I was more interested in what the rest of the cast thought about the play. What did they think it was about? What images or bits of dialogue worked for them? What was confusing? What didn't they like? For me the play is the thing. If the play doesn't tell the story or present it's ideas, no amount of me explaining myself is going to help it. That being said, it does help to discuss my own ideas about the play as a way of bringing clarity to my own mind as to what I am trying to accomplish with the work. 

As an actor in the reading, it's my responsibility discover who my character is and be honest with their intentions and goals in the script. I must work inside the reality of the play that is created by the director and the other actors. As an actor it is not important to me what the play is about or what the playwright is trying to do. Understanding the world of the play and inhabiting it is what is most important. 

What is your background in theatre? I studied theatre in University. I took Drama as a major, so I was able to study almost all aspects of the theatre. I was primarily focused on performing and writing though. My first play Hold'em  was produced at NextFest. And I wrote a show with Kevin Cheung called Journey to the Centre of a Doughnut which we preformed in at the Fringe. I was in You Can't Take it With You at the Walterdale. That was a fantastic experience. One of the things I love about the Walterdale is that every year they produce a big ensemble cast show. Larger shows like that are becoming a rarity on stages everywhere and having the chance to see one or even act in one is a tremendous privilege. 

What has been the biggest challenge on this project?  The biggest challenge with a New Work is understanding that it is still a work in progress. Accepting the limitations of the script and dealing with them rather than dwelling on imperfections. The most exciting thing?  The most exciting thing is being part of something that has never been done before. Creating new work and seeing new work is the most important thing artists and art lovers can do. 

What was your inspiration for this script? My inspiration for the script was a news story a few years back about a couple kids who put a cat in a microwave and the uproar that ensued. It just got me thinking a lot about how we a society or culture react to and deal with the injustices that occur. 

How has the script evolved? My intention with the script is to turn it into a full length play. So I haven't been making any changes to the script through the process. I'm interested in seeing it as it is. The other actor’s input and the audience is key. When I see what the actors have been able to accomplish with my words and how that lines up with my vision of the play I will know what to do. Also feeling the audience's response and discovering what impact the play makes with them will help decide the future direction of the play. The play has certainly evolved since my first draft. The one Walterdale is producing is a fourth draft of the story. My hope is that the script continues to grow and change. Thank you so much to Walterdale Theatre for inviting me to be a part of this festival. 


No comments:

Post a Comment